Oskaloosa is already in an excellent position regarding Arts, Entertainment & Cultural amenities with unique amenities. What is greatly needed is more collaboration between these groups and a collective strategy to support the livelihood of these important organizations. The entire community benefits from having these organizations and opportunities locally. To ensure all arts and culture groups grow and thrive together and not as competition we recommend these entities combine under one umbrella organization.
- Combine staff and volunteer efforts and expertise
- Create a unified stream for development, ensuring no donor conflicts
- Improved and expanded marketing and programming
- Ensure continued community arts, entertainment and education opportunities
FACE (The Fine Arts & Cultural Events) of Mahaska county is already serving as the umbrella organization for the Art Center, the sculpture tour and the upcoming sculpture annex. We recommend a plan to strengthen FACE and add other organizations such as the George Daily Auditorium.
Recommendations for FACE
- FACE becomes umbrella group for local arts & entertainment groups
- The George Daily Auditorium joins FACE
- Outreach to other local non-profits in Mahaska County to join
- Unified budget, event collaboration, marketing and advertising, and hosting public programming opportunities
- Implement Marketing plan
- Clarify role of FACE, vision and mission
- Full time Executive Director – development, staff & programming
- Programming Director
- Admin coordinator
- Technical Director
- Marketing Company on retainer
- Artist in residence
- Internship program with William Penn
- Internship program with Musco
- Bartenders/events staff as needed
CREATE UNIFIED BOARD – EVALUATE MISSION & VISION
Chairperson of each board – FACE & George Daily
Identify the skill set needs for the new board (attorney, CPA, real estate, arts professional, education professional, executive leadership, etc) then choose 3-5 board members from each entity that either fit these needs, or are solid fundraisers (can both give and get funds).
Form the new board with these individuals.
All other board members assigned to Advisory Committees – they will guide the artistic process of the programming.
CREATE CAPITAL CAMPAIGN COMMITTEE (CCC) AND SELECT CAMPAIGN CHAIRS
FACE Board of Directors + new supporters
Select up to 25 people to be part of the CCC for the development of the Art Center building. Many board members will serve on this committee. A strong cross section of the community is needed, including members of all major populations, students and business community.
LAUNCH CAPITAL CAMPAIGN
Begin silent phase of campaign and raise pledges of at least 30-40% of overall goal. Then announce Campaign to the public by launching a major event (that should be a fundraiser). At the same time, announce plans for 2-3 other events that will take place throughout the Campaign to keep folks aware and not let campaign go stale. These events are also designed to allow for small contributions (less than $100) from community members who wish to be a part of the campaign but cannot give at a major level.